Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Moving On With New Blog

For the past many months I have frequently posted my personal and public life on the same blog but that is changed. From now on I will post all my work and ministry related interests here and my personal and family interests on Brave Heart. http://garysweetenblogspot.com

All my life I have fought to focus my mind on only a few items but generally speaking I have failed. As one wag said about a famous politician, "He had a mind as wide as the Pacific Ocean and as deep as a dishpan." That is me. I know a little about a lot of things but a lot about nothing much.

My professional and personal faith lives have been intertwined for many years. Ever since I left the Assoc. Dean position at University of Cincinnati to join the staff at College Hill Presbyterian Church in 1973 as Minister of Discipleship, I have placed my formal education at the service of God's service.

In 1976 I left that position to head the Discipleship and Counseling Position at CHPC and applied my dissertation insights on training Christian counselors and care givers. Over the next 10 years we developed one of the most dynamic lay-led ministries of care, counsel and group work of any organization I have ever seen.

Training lay helpers and lay pastors is much like coaching basketball. During the game the team must make split second decisions and instant moves without thinking in order to pass, shoot and defend effectively. However, a coach must prepare the team to act spontaneously as a free wheeling organism byt instilling discipline, order, pre-planned plays and mental preparation.

During my first years at high school in Illinois we won the state basketball championship. The team we defeated in the finals was superior in every way to our team except they played street ball in an undisciplined manner while our team coached by Mr. Changnon was highly disciplined and mentally prepared to cooperate. Their individuals were better than ours but as a team we triumphed.

The Teleios Ministry at CHPC was similar to my high school team. We practiced and practiced at every turn so when the time for ministry came we could "spontaneously move in the Spirit" and
minister to the whole person".

It is difficult to explain my ministry to traditional pastors and leaders for they do not think like a post modern person. They think about how to control the laity and I think about how to turn them loose. "Set my people free" said Moses to Pharaoh and it is what I am saying to elders and clergy everywhere. The greatest resources you have are the minds, hears and souls of the people working as teams.

Make your comments and enter into a dialogue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home