Sunday, September 17, 2006

A Marvel of New Technology

For three years I have known that my old laptop was woefully ineufficient to accomplish what I need to teach in a technologically advanced world. I forst ran into trouble while teaching at a mentored churches in southern Illinois. I just couldn't get the video to run on that old Dell.

Then I had some more power added and tried again. I saw the same frustrating results only this time I was embarrassed in Singapore, one of the most advanced technological societies in the world. I lost face with them for sure.

Two months ago I was in a meeting at U.C. for the integration of health and faith when I first saw a laptop tablet at work. A tablet is a laptop that is set up to allow the teacher to do several things.

1. I can write on the screen and insert it as typed text. That is good for writing e mails, rough drafts and taking notes.

2. I can speak and it will type my voice. WOW!

3. I can make slides and write on them as I present to make a particular point stand out. The photo above shows my writing on a Power Point slide. It enhances interaction with the audience and facilitates insights and clarity.

4. Use it as a regular computer with mouse and keyboard.

5. Run videos from DVD's and show them on projectors.


So, I finally broke down and bought one. I am very thankful that my two week comparison shopping saved Life Way about $700.00. I found an Acer at the MicroCenter and it is exactly the same as what the professor at U.C. uses and recommended so highly.

I am learning to use it and have already put it into play with the Baptist Pastors that gather at Life Way on Tuesdays. I am excited to finally find a machine that facilitates real learning and good interaction.

Thanks to all the Life Way Ministries, Inc supporters for making it possible.





 Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home