Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Publications

By the grace of God I was directed one day in 1974 to attend a workshop in Athens, Georgia led by Dr. Richard Walters. Buz, as he prefers to be called, had just finished a Doctorate at University of Georgia under the tutelage of George Gazda, a well known educator and counselor. That seminar changed my life radically and permanently.

From Risk, George and their partner Bill I learned about doing outcome research that showed what kinds of counseling/coaching/consulting interventions are effective and those that are not so effective. During my Masters and Doctoral studies I was led to believe that my knowledge and skills were necessary and sufficient to foster growth, healing and change in a client. I was quickly disabused of that notion.

The research by such people as Carl Rogers, with whom I studied at a workshop in Illinois in 1969 and Robert R. Carkhuff showed plainly that the key to effective change was not knowledge but the quality of caring shown by the Helper. This was true whether one was a psychologist, social worker, pastor, priest or parent.

I returned to Cincinnati and wrote a dissertation in 1975 integrating the "Buz Walters' Model with the Bible" and it has guided me ever since. There has been a lot of research in 31 years that slices and dices the Helper-Seeker Interactions and helps us better understand the nuances of the various parts. However, every study reinforces and supports my dissertation.

My first book was called Apples of Gold I and was used to train ordinary lay persons how to relate with care and influence. This was upgraded and enhanced into Listening for heaven's Sake and is still being sold by EMI and Life Way Ministries.

My next book was entitled Rational Christian Thinking and integrated Cognitive Therapy and the Bible.

My latest book is for equipping lay Helpers and lay Pastors. Hope and Change for Humpty Dumpty. It distills the latest research on consulting, coaching and counseling in a positive and life affirming manner.

Contact me for materials

Gary R. Sweeten, Ed. D.

Leader Coach & Consultant

Touching Leaders, One Heart at a time
Touching Organizations, One Leader at a time
Touching Communities, One Organization at a time
Touching Nations, One Community at a time.
Touching Eternity, One Day at a time
(C)Life Way Ministries, Inc
11161 Kenwood Road Cincinnati, Ohio 45242
www.lifewaycenters.com
http://garysweeten.blogspot.com/
http://gsweetenministryblogspot.com.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home