Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Discipleship and Equipping the Saints

Every now and then I am shocked into remembering that most Christian leaders are NOT experts in fostering change. That means that the services they design, the discipleship they attempt and the counseling in which they engage is very largely ineffective and inefficient. But, pastors go to graduate school and study ways to communicate the good news so, when I talk with leaders I sort of expect them to know something about influence and change.

On the other hand, I have three degrees in education and counseling and I have done post doctoral work in fostering change in individuals and communities. Change is my business. If I were running the world of leadership training I would stop almost all lectures and book writing except those designed, as this blog is, to motivate people to get involved in the change process.

Lectures and books have almost no lasting influence on people. Engagement in the practice of learning new habits is what brings change.

Practice Makes Permanent
Practice Does Not Make Perfect

The Five Stages of Discipleship

  1. I train you in new skills and habits
  2. I train others and you observe me in the training
  3. I train others and you assist me
  4. You train others and I assist you
  5. You train others, former students assist and I am off training some other group

At Life Way Ministries we train you how to disciple others

Lectures and sermons do not disciple, change habits or teach people how to serve