Thursday, September 21, 2006

The Process of Change in Coming to Christ

A few posts ago I showed some photos of the Greater Cincinnati Baptist Association Pastors who gather weekly at the Life Way Counseling center Offices in Blue Ash to discuss leadership, influence and change. As a person with deep Baptist roots I am happy to say that these men are deeply commited to Christ and to growing the church in healthy ways.

We are discussing ways to influence people as God brings changes in their lives and I am promoting the idea that all change is incremental, step by step and usually slow over a period of time. The problem lies in an instant mashed potato society that expects change to be quick and easy.

I have developed a way of showing what I think is a biblical way to describe the stages of change from being against God, called scoffers in the Bible, to being sold out to Jesus.

From Scoffer to Spiritually Alive and Growing

All life is a process. People go through various stages whenever the Lord is drawing them toward Him. In the chart below I have scaled out 20 steps of change that range all the way from minus ten meaning alienation and blindness to a need or desire to change to plus ten that indicates the person is involved in ministry according to the call of Christ.

Motivational Level of Seeker
Wise Ministry by Christians

10-9 = Rebels at any change
Show Kindness of God

8-7 = No intention to change
Prayers, Assistance

6-5 = Change may be possible
Support, encourage

4-3 = I need to change
I will help you set goals

2-1 = I have decided to do it!

I will be with you

-0- = The first steps of change
I am here, lets find others

1-2 = Continues despite lapses.
Relapse prevention

3-4 = Gains strength & confidence
Support from church

5-6 = New habits begin to form
Encourage, teach, mentor

7-8 = Lifestyle firms up
Equip for specific areas

9-10=Maturity apparent
Ministry Involvement

I am assuming that wise ministry always flows from abiding in Christ and led by the Holy Spirit. That it is the result not of rules and regulations but of a spiritual sensitivity and biblical base.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home