Friday, July 21, 2006

The Power of Sharing

Today I was able to talk with an old friend for almost two hours. It is a man with whom I have shared my life and ministry for many years. Because I left the team at CHPC and he became very involved in work, family and ministry we haven't shared deeply in a long time. It was a great to listen to him talk.

Jim is one of the most interesting and stimulating men I know. He wore various hats while at
P & G and now runs a private business with his son consulting/training with companies on innovation, creativity, marketing, etc. Because of the way his mind works Jim thinks outside the box and knows how to stimulate others to do the same.

After our conversation it occurred to me that it was Jim and others like him who empowered our congregation to do so many new and effective things. College Hill developed so many previously unheard of programs. Bright, creative, gifted and talented "laity" when allowed and encouraged are able to accomplish "Far more than we can even think or imagine".

His wife Dawn was my executive assistant way back when and she was one of the main reasons I was able to keep my focus and follow through. Dawn funneled my ADHD into many positive ventures and the people at College Hill Presbyterian were blessed as a result.

When building the Kingdom of God there is not substitute for building teams of inspired, motivated, interested laity. Thanks be to God for his gift of people such as Jim and Dawn Donovan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home